General Function: Responsible for assisting the senior pastor in shepherding First Baptist Jackson through proclamation, vision, leadership, alignment, and pastoral care.
· Lead the church and the community in proclaiming the gospel.
· Preach or teach when called upon affirming the Scripture as the infallible, inerrant, inspired, and living word of God without shame or fear.
· Assist the senior pastor in partnering with First Baptist Jackson’s defined mission and help monitor goals and quantifiable results.
· Support the senior pastor in guiding and leading all aspects of First Baptist Jackson committees, teams, staff, and members.
· Ensure the operational readiness of the church through leadership and oversight of support staff performing duties in administration, finance, human resources, supplies, and facilities management.
· Assist in establishing and maintaining a set of key performance indicators that provide staff with ongoing visibility of the effectiveness of all functional areas of the church – including setting expectations, annual performance goals, evaluations, and more.
· Assist the senior pastor in overseeing preparation and review of the Annual Budget (directly or by delegation to the other staff) as related specific ministry and assist other staff in this capacity.
· Champion the development of infrastructure by all ministries and support areas that support the healthy, long-term growth of the church.
· Work with ministers and lay leadership to connect newcomers to a Sunday School Class and other church ministry positions.
· Contribute to strategies and policies to safeguard the membership of the church helping maintain the accountability of church members and a regenerate membership.
· Develop relationships with congregation as the overseer of their souls including regular contact through various opportunities (appointments, social events, and other forms of communication).
· Visit the sick, those in the hospital or nursing homes and the “homebound.”
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· A clear testimony of personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
· A self-starter with motivation to follow through with limited supervision.
· Seeks biblical, theological, spiritual, personal, relational, and academic excellence in ministry and leads with quality.
· Demonstrate agreement with beliefs and doctrine of First Baptist Jackson.
· A team player with a proven track record of effective leadership, judgement, and above reproach character.
· Ability to set goals and be measured and evaluated for ministry and career growth.
· A life-long learner who stays current in ministry trends and best practices that increase the effectiveness of our church in its mission.
· 5+ years of relevant ministry experience.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
· Master’s degree (completed or in process of completing) from a regionally accredited Southern Baptist Seminary (or otherwise approved by the Personnel Committee and Senior Pastor.
Full-time ministerial staff members are expected to serve the needs of the ministry without compulsion and with joy. A regular plan of office and “off” time will be made with the Personnel Committee and Senior Pastor.
· Work with Senior Pastor to routinely create an ongoing list of measurable and quantifiable objectives that may be utilized for evaluation.
· Follow feedback provided by Senior Pastor. Understand that based on church size and resources, additional duties may be assigned by the Senior Pastor.
SALARY RANGE: $55,000-$65,000 based on experience and education
RESPONSIBLE TO: The Senior Pastor
Currently going through a revitalization process under the leadership of Pastor Troy Richards since January, 2019. The church has been in decline for a few decades, but has a willingness to chart new territory and is beginning to refocus with new vision. FBCJ was established in 1824 and reached an average attendance of over 600 in the 1980's and 90's. Two significant church splits have resulted in attendance declining to under 200. The church went through a time of healing and internal examination with an intentional interim for over a year before calling the current pastor. The downward trend appeared to have reversed with an increase in baptisms and transfer growth until the pandemic, which has leveled off any gains. The church lost two full-time staff members who took positions closer to their hometowns. Both left on very good terms.
First Baptist Church Pelham | Baptist: SBC
Full-time | Pelham, Alabama
Redeemer Church | Baptist: SBC
Full-time | Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
North Metro Church | Baptist: SBC
Full-time | Thornton, Colorado
Lakes Area Vineyard Church | Vineyard
Full-time | Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota