To apply for this position, fill out the application at www.covenantpalmbay.org/apply and email your resume to Pastor Jonathan Culley, [email protected].
The Church Accountant is a part time (20 hours/week) position and is responsible to (1) provide regular financial reporting to leadership; (2) provide bookkeeping functions; (3) administer payroll functions; (4) assist with human resource administration; (5) assist with managing business-related taxes and insurances; (6) help maintain financial policies and procedures; and (7) oversee or assist with special projects, as needed.
Note: This position requires proficiency in QuickBooks, Word, Excel, Google Docs & Sheets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial reporting and analysis
- Produce monthly, quarterly, annual, and ad-hoc reports to internal leadership (such as income statements, balance sheets, cash flow reports, giving analysis, etc.).
- Ensure all appropriate external reporting is being accomplished and reviewed (such as quarterly Form 941, annual Form 1099, etc.).
- Assist with the annual budget process by producing reports and recommendations.
- Provide analysis and recommendations to appropriate staff concerning the church’s financial condition and direction.
- Manage accounts payable (A/P) (i.e., invoices, credit card transactions, W-9s).
- Manage accounts receivable (A/R) (i.e., donations processing, weekly deposits, payments).
- Donor communications (i.e., end-of-year donation statements, answering donor questions).
- Other (i.e., entering budgets, journal entries, reconciling statements, etc.).
Payroll and benefits administration
- Gather and process monthly timecards from part-time employees.
- Manage our online Paychex payroll services for all employees.
- Process monthly payroll in a timely manner.
- Manage and pay benefits associated with payroll.
Human resource functions
- Assist the Executive Pastor in managing the overall employee benefits program. Assist with researching benefits options at annual renewals.
- Assist with employee onboarding and offboarding functions.
- Maintain personnel files, including required HR and employment records. Ensure appropriate records management policies and procedures are established and enforced.
Business-related taxes and insurances
- Gather and analyze appropriate information for annual workers comp audit.
- Assist with managing and reviewing general liability and property insurance policies.
- Prepare annual tax reports.
Policies, procedures, and staff assistance
- Assist the Executive Pastor with reviewing, updating, communicating, and enforcing financial policies and procedures with staff.
- Work with the Executive Pastor to make our business processes better, more efficient, and more intuitive over time.
- Assist the Executive Pastor with improving the “customer service ethos” between staff and various financial requirements. This idea is two-fold: (1) ensuring the staff is complying with appropriate policies and procedures, but at the same time, (2) being flexible where appropriate, applying common sense to situations, and making it as easy and intuitive as possible for staff to comply with minimal disruption to the mission.
- Regularly review and provide recommendations for improving our internal financial controls and checks/balances.
- Oversee the regular audit/review process (usually every 3-5 years).
Personal and professional development
- Build in healthy rhythms of self-care, including nurturing your own soul, mind, body, relationships, and emotional life. Effectively balance work, family, and personal aspects of life.
- Actively seek to learn and sharpen your professional skills. Read books related to your calling and position. Pursue seminars, conferences, or similar professional development opportunities as much as possible.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The primary qualifications for this position are as follows:
- Must be proficient in QuickBooks, Word, Excel, Google Docs & Sheets, and filing systems (both digital and physical)
- Must be a quick learner regarding online, web-based systems and services
- Must be organized
- Must have a strong “customer service” ethos with donors, vendors, congregants, staff, etc.
- Must be an effective communicator, especially through phone, email, and in-person interactions
- Must be a conscientious and hard-working individual who is committed to getting the job done
- Possesses a positive, can-do attitude
- Self-motivated learner; committed to personal and professional development
- Practical problem-solver who solicits input from other staff and team members when needed
- Engaged coworker who strengthens staff cohesion and effectiveness
- An absolute commitment to excellence and professionalism
- Solid time management skills and organizational abilities; ability to coordinate several activities at once and to quickly analyze and resolve specific problems is important
- A high degree of flexibility and self-control in stressful situations and environments
- Ability to meet deadlines and be punctual for meetings
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in team situations is critical, as well as the ability to work independently and not require a lot of daily coaching
- Must be a Christian
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A college degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, and/or Human Resources Management is preferred, but not required. More important than the content of the college degree is the level of actual experience in a medium-to-large church setting where financial skills and healthy teaming were consistently demonstrated.