Reports to: Lead Pastor and Board of Elders
The Discipleship Pastor will lead and equip our congregation to be disciples who make disciples. The primary purpose of this role is to develop, coordinate, and execute a philosophy of discipleship in our church and community.
- Specific and direct call to pastoral ministry.
- Personal character that reflects the biblical requirements for pastors/elders (1 Timothy 3:1-13, 2 Timothy 2, Titus 1:5-9).
- Undergraduate/Bible College degree preferred
- 5 or more full-time years experience on staff in a leadership capacity at a local church or Christian ministry.
- A passionate love for the Lord and for people.
- Ability to lead and motivate diverse groups of people.
- Team player with excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, organize workloads, and handle multiple tasks at once.
- A passion for seeing people become connected to the church.
- Cooperate with the elders to develop a strategic discipleship plan for all ages. (future — implement and maintain plan)
- Collaborate with Pastor of Youth & Outreach and Director of Children’s Ministry to implement the discipleship plan that is consistent across all ministries.
- Develop and nurture a healthy groups strategy that aligns with the Up, In, and Out vision of the church (small groups, D-groups, recruiting and training leaders, organizing curriculum, launching new groups as needed, etc.)
- Assist in development and implementation of a training plan for equipping the church family to live on mission and serve their local communities (at home, work, play, etc.)
- Teach/lead by example by leading a group.
- Develop, implement, and measure a strategy for connecting people to Bethel…moving from guest to fully engaged member.
- Provide leadership and direction for the Next Steps class (membership)
- Provide oversight and coordination of registration and follow-up process for guests and regular attendees
- Provide oversight, direction and training of the Guest Connections Team.
- Help members and guests develop deeper and more meaningful relationships through participation in groups.
- Assist in developing and carrying out strategies to reach the unchurched in the surrounding community of Bethel (in partnership with Youth & Outreach Pastor).
Pastoral Care and Deacons
- Provide ministry leadership and development for our Team of Deacons.
- Communicate and coordinate with other ministry teams on Care ministry activities and needs related to their specific ministry.
- Assist in providing pastoral care to those in personal crisis through counseling, prayer, and visitation.
- Make assessments and/or refer congregants to the appropriate internal or external counseling resources/services.
- Develop relationships with local counseling offices/agencies to provide care and rehabilitation options.
- Serve as a member of Bethel’s elder board.
- Participate in all staff meetings.
- Officiate weddings and funerals as needed.
- Preach 6-10 times per year as directed by Lead Pastor
In 1965, Bethel was planted in the then rural community of Cherry Hill. Now, our community is a bustleing suburban town just 25 minutes across the river from Philadephia. We are a medium-sized, diverse church that is made up predominatly of families: both families of young children and families of teenagers. We believe that our mission is to make more and better disciples by having a balanced ministry emphasis on three relational rhythms: UP (our relationship with God), IN (our relationship with God's people, OUT (our relationship with God's mission).
Our local community has a wide range of demographics ethnicly, educationally, socioeconomically, and religiously. We have the severely impoverished in Camden just 6 miles away and some wealthies neighborhoods in South Jersey nearby. We have families from nearly every continent represented in our church and in our community, and we believe that is all part of God's beautiful design for the church. The fields are most definitely ready for harvest and we are excited to see how God uses this church to grow His kingdom.