Position Description: Food Service Manager
Reports to: Camp Director
Location: Monterey, MA
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Start Date: March 1, 2022
Responsible for all Dining Hall operations, equipment, budgets and employees. Prepares all menu items to Hume standards for guests and employees in an efficient and timely manner. Maintains a clean kitchen compliant with applicable health regulations. Proactive in helping to meet the spiritual needs of guests and staff.
- Develops and maintains a strategic perspective based on organizational needs and direction. Ability to cast vision and grow food services in alignment with camp growth.
- Creative in all aspects of food service and brings opportunities forward for consideration.
- Builds healthy relationships with all people who work in or interact with food service including guests, vendors, contractors, and employees
- Consistently maintains a welcoming and friendly attitude; promotes interest and care for all food service customers
- Responsible for all Food Service operations. Works with Camp Director and Program Director to align menus and service with camp budgets, programs and activities.
- Manages all ordering with local and national vendors, monitors contracts, and coordinates delivery and inventory of food, beverages and supplies.
- Manages special diet requests. Coordinates with parents and guests to understand needs and provide options. Ensures safety of kitchen and food preparation to accommodate such needs.
- Works with other staff to organize, clean and maintain facilities and equipment in good working order.
- Responsible for the Food Service annual budget. Takes leadership role in analysis, recommendations and implementation to ensure an efficient and optimum cost operation.
- Trains and manages regular Staff, Weekend Workers throughout the year for Guest Groups, and Seasonal staff during Summer and Winter Camps.
- Proactively and routinely seeks feedback on Food Service and Dining Hall operations from employees and guests for improvement.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required. Hume maintains the right to reassign or change duties as needed.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the Christian faith and a desire to share the knowledge of Jesus Christ with others.
- Agrees with Hume Lake’s Statement of Belief and abides by the Code of Conduct.
- Has demonstrated planning and organization skills. Possesses attention to details.
- Has a servant’s heart with a teachable attitude, a high level of teamwork, and maturity. Exemplifies Godliness, integrity, self-control and temperance. Consistently brings an uplifting presence.
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic, arrives to work on time and avoids excessive absences.
- Proactive in approach and ability to deliver an excellent experience in all food service areas and guest experience.
- Working knowledge of cooking terminology and ingredients, qualities of food, beverages and supplies, and other relevant skills.
- Can determine degrees of doneness in cooked foods and is able to operate all equipment pertaining to the role.
- Working knowledge in general office technology and possesses strong aptitude for computer work. Much of the position is computer-based involving menu planning, ordering, budgeting and tracking staff and guest meals electronically. Comfortable with word processing, spreadsheets and database management.
- Must have a culinary degree or similar training/education and relevant experience. Experience with buffets in camping or retreat centers, or other venues with a large number of meals prepared and served.
- Has or is able to obtain a ServeSafe Manager Certification.
- Supervisory skills and experience.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move 50 pounds, be able to stand for extended periods of time, and live in cold weather conditions
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of the job.
- Often involves long work hours. Flexibility in working schedule required to meet the needs of the camp’s guests and operations.
- Responsible for securing and maintaining own housing offsite of camp and necessary transportation.