Binkley Baptist Church in Chapel Hill, N.C., seeks a part-time Minister of Music to lead its music ministry. Binkley is a diverse, progressive, and welcoming and affirming congregation.
An ideal candidate will be a skilled, energetic and enthusiastic musician who, in addition to inspiring members of the current ensembles, is prepared to engage in active outreach to the Binkley congregation and to the broader community with the specific goal of enriching and increasing participation in the worship and musical life of Binkley Baptist Church. The successful candidate will partner with ministerial staff in building upon existing traditions and exploring new forms of worship and music to attract youth, young adults, and families with young children.
Binkley’s mission is to build compassionate and joyful community, freely exploring spiritual paths, and pursuing justice and peace in the way of Jesus. In support of this mission, the Minister of Music will provide leadership and oversight in the areas of music and worship arts to further spiritual education and enrichment, and community outreach.
1. Partner with ministerial staff to create and implement programs and worship experiences that engage existing members and attract visitors/new members to Binkley.
2. Collaborate with ministerial staff to plan services by selecting music (e.g., anthems, offertories, and hymns) that supports the liturgy and key messages of the worship experience to inform, challenge, educate, and inspire.
3. Develop and nurture trusting relationships with parishioners across generations.
4. Select music, rehearse, and conduct the Chancel Choir.
5. Direct or oversee the direction of children’s and youth choirs, the hand bell ensemble, and instrumental groups.
6. Lead recruitment of vocalists, instrumentalists, volunteers, and guest musicians needed to support the music ministry.
7. Foster community outreach and connection through the music program.
8. Educate the congregation and music groups in music, liturgy, and worship leadership.
9. Serve as liaison to and provide support for the Music Committee.
10. Oversee the acquisition, use, maintenance, and storage of music, instruments, and property of the music program including vestments and robes.
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in music (Master’s preferred) and at least 10 years’ experience in church music, conducting and worship planning is required. The salary will be dependent upon skills and experience of candidate.
A snapshot of music at Binkley:
Our sanctuary is an acoustically-vibrant worship space with flexible seating for the congregation. A focal point is a two-manual, 21 rank pipe organ manufactured by the Schantz Organ Company and installed in 1989. The traditional roll-top console is easily moved to accommodate various service or concert configurations. Additional details about the instrument may be found in the Organ Historical Society database. Other primary instruments include a Kawai baby grand piano, a four-octave set of hand bells, and choir chimes.
The Chancel Choir boasts a high caliber of musicianship and includes accomplished vocalists, instrumentalists, and soloists. The congregation is also musically adept, receptive to a wide array of musical genres, and open to trying new hymns. Service music at Binkley typically includes hymns and sacred music from a variety of styles. Recent performance highlights include the following: Durufle’s “Requiem” for Palm Sunday; Vespers Services for All Saints, Pentecost, and All Souls; Scripture and Spirituals; Hymn Sings; Jazz Music Sunday; and a variety of Appalachian folk and hymn tunes performed by the Old Time Gospel Band. We sponsor a Choral Scholars Program, in partnership with local universities, through which students receive a modest scholarship for taking a leadership role in the music ministry of the church. The Chancel Choir also engages in collaborative choral performances with other groups and faith communities in the area.
Please visit www.binkleychurch.org to learn more about the church.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to [email protected].
King's Park International Church | Non-Denominational
Full-time | Durham, North Carolina
Durham, North Carolina
Back Creek Church | Presbyterian
Full-time | Charlotte, North Carolina
Charlotte, North Carolina
Macedonia Lutheran Church | Lutheran
Part-time | Burlington, North Carolina
Burlington, North Carolina
Holy Trinity Anglican Church | Anglican
Part-time | Raleigh, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina