To provide expertise and oversight in the accounting and budgeting operations of Cherry Hills Church to assure financial health to meet the goals set forth by the Elders and Lead Pastors. This position will also provide administrative oversight to the Human Resources processes, as well as adherence to all fiscal responsibilities to include, but not be limited to, tax filings, activities of the as well as administrative oversight of the Human Resources processes.
The Budget and Finance Comptroller/Director will be accountable for accounting operations of the Church. This includes production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and set of controls designed to mitigate risk while enhancing the accuracy of the reported financial results. This position will also take an active role in cash management and risk management. This position will also supervise an accountant or other outsourced professional who will assist with providing information for reports as well as assure compliance with financial procedures as appropriate. This position also works closely with the Finance Team on recommendations and oversight as well as interacting with the Personnel Team for administrative responsibilities in that area.
All staff is expected to display a Christ-like character when interacting with each other, church attendees, staff, and guests as well as understand and fully support the Cherry Hills’ vision and culture. It is expected that this position will require that this individual:
- Provide for his or her own spiritual health through daily devotions, prayer and Scripture reading.
- Seek to uphold the Cherry Hills vision.
- Serve in submission and respect to the leadership of Cherry Hills.
- Model a Christ-like character both inside and outside the church family and campus.
- Sees this position in the light of being a ministry
- Provides oversight of all the financial operations of Cherry Hills Church, developing financial controls and procedures for the accounting activities
- Generates monthly reports that provide appropriate and accurate information to meet the needs of leadership and appropriate Teams
- Responsible for developing and shepherding the budgetary process
- Oversee payroll operations for all employees of the church
- Maintains checking account and invoice activities
- Generates monthly reports to include activities in each account, cash flow and balance sheet information, and, when appropriate, highlight issues (negative and positive) where noted
Specific for Accounting:
- maintain and enforce a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- manage outsourced functions
- oversee the operations of the accounting processes to include a structure for achieving the goals and objectives/vision of Cherry Hills
- ensure accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Process payroll in a timely manner, assuring accuracy in deductions, tax payments, etc.
- Ensure periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- maintain a chart of accounts
- maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- assume lead role in outlining and implementing the budget process for Cherry Hills, with the goal of developing the annual budget
- issue timely and compete financial statements and reports
- recommend benchmarks against which to measure performance/budget adherence/income
- Calculate variances for the budget and report significant issues to leadership and to the Finance Team
- Provide updates regarding various programs and contracts (periodically)
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
Specific for Human Resource Administration:
- Oversee and administer the broader HR policies and procedures, including onboarding, insurance and tax forms, and annual evaluation process
- Work with personnel team to: ensure legal compliance with HR practices; review of the Personnel Policy manual (bi-annually unless immediate change is legally required), and assure equity in salary increases and levels of pay
- Annually evaluate and price insurance and manage benefits for Cherry Hills
- Develop and take the lead on maintaining legally required Personnel files
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or economics
- preference will be given to candidates with a CPA, or Certified Management Accountant designation
- a minimum of five experience in the role of accountant, two of which should be at a senior level
- experience, a minimum of two years, with payroll, payroll systems and related programs
- Excellent managerial and organizational skills; ability to pay attention to details
- Thorough understanding of budgetary and accounting principles, practices and policies
- Experience with a church and/or non-profit is a plus
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
This job operates in a professional office environment and requires flexibility in hours available for work, including evenings, weekends and occasional travel. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers. While the responsibilities are primarily performed during the week, there may be occasions when some activities on weekends or evenings may be necessary. The physical demands are those typically required of a professional office-based position.