Custodian Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintaining clean church facilities by performing weekly duties and daily spot cleaning in all public areas of the building, including bathrooms, sanctuary, offices, kitchens, and meeting rooms.
- Observing proper chemical handling procedures when working with cleaning agents, including wearing gloves, goggles, or masks and following written or verbal instructions.
- Restocking supplies as necessary in bathrooms and other areas
- Log and report any noted repairs needed to buildings, fixtures, and equipment
- Assisting with event preparations and clean-up.
- Maintain inventory of cleaners and other supplies, submitting requests when items need to be replenished.
- Interacting with church staff and visitors in a respectful, positive manner.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Committed to the mission and goals of the church.
- Communicates effectively with strong comprehension and interpersonal skills.
- Motivation to work independently or with others to provide thorough, efficient custodial services to the church.
- Understanding of cleaning techniques and safety procedures
- Knowledge and practice of safe work habits around electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems
- Flexibility to adjust the schedule to suit the needs of the church, including weeknight and weekend hours, including Sundays and major religious holidays
- 5-year Custodial experience or training preferred.
- High School Diploma or any Trade School Training in these areas desired
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Be courteous and tactful, have a cheerful and positive attitude, willing to help in all things.
- As a team-oriented individual, displays the ability to effectively interact with pastoral and administrative staff, Property committee, and congregants and community members
- self-directed and able to complete all custodial duties with little to no supervision.
- proactive, attending to messes and problems before they are brought up or requested.
- flexible and willing to adapt to varying schedules and levels of work required from week to week.
- honest and trustworthy
- Must be responsible and able to arrange for duties to be accomplished even when the individual cannot manage alone.
- Responsive to supervision
- Sits stands, bends, reaches above head, climbs ladders and stairs, and moves intermittently during work
- Is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Works beyond normal hours for planned functions of the church and emergencies.
- Communicate with supervisor and other church staff, volunteers, members, and guests.
- Is exposed to slippery conditions, odors, outside weather conditions, etc.
Specific Requirements and Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant it.
- Must be able to deal tactfully with and communicate with staff, volunteers, members, guests, and contracted vendors
- Must maintain care and use of supplies and equipment and make regular inspections of the areas of the building.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses that enable these senses to meet the responsibilities of the job.
- Must be able to manage time and multiple tasks and projects and be able to track time
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, and move equipment, supplies, etc., up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to spend several hours standing, bending, climbing, twisting, stooping, pushing, and pulling
- Must be in good general health.
- Must pass a background check and pre-employment drug screening.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17-$18 per hour