Job Title: Assistant Pastor for Caring Ministries Category: Ordained
Reports To: Senior Pastor
JOB PURPOSE AND SCOPE
The position of Assistant Pastor for Caring Ministries at The Worship Place assists the Senior Pastor in developing and providing pastoral care systems, programs, and ministry teams to address the needs of those within the congregation experiencing physical, financial, emotional, or spiritual crisis.
The Assistant Pastor for Caring Ministries is to have the heart of a shepherd, live in accordance with the requirements of a biblical servant-leader (see 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1), and work for the building up of the body of Christ by cultivating a culture and practice of care and compassion throughout The Worship Place.
The Assistant Pastor for Caring Ministries is a called position that utilizes the incumbent's spiritual gifts, academic disciplines, and life skills in developing and coordinating congregational care.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The position of Assistant Pastor for Caring Ministries at The Worship Place requires the following:
1. A Master's Degree is required in a discipline of Pastoral Care and Counseling. Religious Studies and Clinical Pastoral Education is preferred but not required.
2. A minimum of five years on-the-job experience in ministering to the needs of a congregation or equivalent assignments (e.g., hospital chaplaincy).
3. A member in good standing with a church or denomination, able to affirm the statement of faith of The Worship Place and willing to become a member of The Worship Place.
1. Supervise and support the caring ministries of the church. See the TWP Ministry Team Handbook for a list of caring ministries.
2. Recruit, train, and equip members to serve in the caring ministries of the church.
3. Coordinate care, prayer, and visitation for those in hospital, hospice, and homebound.
4. Conduct individual and family counseling for those experiencing grief, loss, life-burdens, and difficult life-decisions.
5. Plan and coordinate funeral and memorial services with the church staff.
6. Advise the Senior Pastor and pastoral staff on effective strategies for developing and sustaining caring ministries of the church.
The Senior Pastor may assign other duties to the Assistant Pastor for Caring Ministries as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
It is essential that the Assistant Pastor for Caring Ministries demonstrates the following:
1. Be a living witness to Christ and bear the fruit of the Spirit.
2. Have a compassionate and caring nature.
3. Encourage emotional, mental, spiritual, and relational growth in others.
4. Effective counseling of individuals, couples, and teams.
5. Effective reconciling of relationships by mentoring, mediating, counseling, and caring.
6. The ability to listen attentively believing that being truly heard is one of the most healing gifts a person can receive.
7. Strong interpersonal communication skills.
8. Communicate effectively (both oral and written communication).
9. Organizational skills for managing TWP caring ministries.
10. Flexibility needed to balance work assignments at one church with two locations: Sun City and Rocky Hollow.
11. Coordinate and collaborate with the pastoral staff and support staff.
12. Receptive to receiving direction from the Senior Pastor.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This Assistant Pastor is required to follow job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by the Senior Pastor. Regular attendance at TWP is required on this job.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
LifeBridge Christian Center
LifeBridge Christian Center
Calvary Baptist Pearland
Creekside Christian Church
Faith Community Church
Heritage Bible Chapel