Title: Music and Arts Director for Encounter and for the Traditional Service.
Encounter is a Christian performance group of high school students, created in 1972, which has been known to represent 30+ churches in a given season. The students, Director, and adult sponsors are dedicated to sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ through the ministries of music, service, fellowship, and participation in the life of the Church. Christian growth is an important element of Encounter. All the adults and students works together to enable everyone to accept themselves as persons of worth: the sons and daughters of God. The season normally begins with rehearsals in January with the first performances on Easter Sunday at Main Street UMC and finishes with a 10 day tour at the end of July/beginning of August. The finale is usually the first Sunday of August.
Our music ministry has been well known throughout our community for several decades. We have always had an abundance of talented individuals who were amazing at either an instrument, voice, or sometimes even both. For at least the past 20 years we have had Christmas cantatas with full orchestras and a Christmas choir. Many people from the community have filled the positions in the orchestra including students from area high schools. These cantatas are a highlight of the Riverbend’s holiday season. We have also had a praise and worship band called Resound which consisted of several musicians (piano, bass, acoustic guitar, drums, percussion, etc.) and enough vocalists to create two teams of singers; currently we are in the process of reorganizing our Contemporary Service and recruiting a separate worship leader to lead it. At our Traditional service, we have a sanctuary choir that sings special music pieces and may help lead hymns. Our hand bell choir has also performed in worship services either as special music on their own or in combination with sanctuary choir.
Time: 20 hours weekly/1,040 hours yearly.
Salary: Negotiable according to the experience.
Purpose: The music director of MSUCM is responsible for the musical and art needs of the traditional service and form the musical program of the Highschool student program Encounter.
A. As Encounter Music Director, fulfill role and functions as outlined in the Encounter By-Laws
1. Select, order, and prepare music within budget guidelines in collaboration with the Spiritual Director and/or the Directing Pastor.
2. Schedule and coordinate singing, narration, and dancer auditions.
3. Participate in all sponsor/choir retreats.
4. Direct rehearsals, secure and schedule accompanist for rehearsals.
5. Direct Encounter performances currently Easter through August.
6. Participate in tour at the end of the season.
7. Attend and participate in all sponsor meetings.
8. Participate in selection team for new sponsors.
9. Provide oversight/support to tech. volunteers for sound set-up and equipment.
10. Work primarily in-person and meet hybrid online needs.
11. Connect with and support students in community events.
B. As Music Director for the Traditional Worship:
1. Recruit, rehearse, and conduct choirs and special music.
2. Select music for all choirs and groups, including special seasonal music, in consultation with relevant participants
3. Schedule with the approval of the Leading pastor, hymns, and special music for all Traditional Sunday morning worship services on the Main St. and Asbury Village campus.
4. Work with the Worship Committee and other task forces related to worship.
5. Oversee music library, including digital, in acquiring and disposing of resources and organization
6. Oversee quality, repairs, and replacement of musical instruments, resources, and equipment, including tech department (sound and video) this is coordination with the Worship Leader for the Contemporary Worship.
7. Prepare and submit annual music budget to support a quality comprehensive music ministry
8. Oversee, guide, and support other music staff, including Bell Choir, Children’s Choir, and any youth music programs other than Encounter.
9. Schedule all special music programming to be added to the church calendar with the Administrate Assistant
C. Collaborate with the Worship Leader of the Contemporary worship to do combined programs and projects.
A. Music degree required
B. Proven ability to select and direct appropriate choral music and ability to read and direct all parts choral and instrumental
C. Organizational skills including short term and long-range planning
D. Have effective and timely communications skills (both orally and written).
E. Possess good time management skills by being on time for practices, meetings, and church services, along with effective use of practice times.
F. Demonstrate strong leadership and organizational skills.
G. Possess the interpersonal skills needed to relate to a diverse group of people such as pastoral staff, musicians, church leaders and members.
H. Ability to engage with inter-generational community socially and spiritually.
I. Have a clear concept of being an integral part of the church’s ministry team.
J. Above all, the Music Director must believe that God has a purpose for them in this ministry. They must demonstrate a strong faith and commitment to Jesus Christ and be able to share their faith with the congregation of the church and to the world.
Three Non-related references
Main Street United Methodist Church | United Methodist
Part-time | Alton, Illinois
First United Methodist Church of Peoria | United Methodist
Full-time | Peoria, Illinois
Faith Lutheran Church
Part-time | Aurora, Illinois
First Baptist Church | Baptist
Full-time | Columbia, Illinois
St. Mark Lutheran Church | Lutheran
Part-time | Lindenhurst, Illinois
Bexley United Methodist Church | United Methodist
Part-time | Bexley, Ohio