ST. MARKS CHURCH
CHILDREN’S MINISTRIES TEAM LEAD
St. Marks Church is seeking a visionary and passionate leader to help us create a Family Ministry culture that is known in our community. The candidate will serve as the Children’s Ministry Team Lead within a vibrant and growing revitalized congregation, working with a committed staff and gifted lay leadership in order to nurture to children, from birth through 5th grade, and their family, in the love and grace of Jesus Christ.
About our SMC family:
St. Marks has a storied history on the Northshore of Chattanooga, located in the heart of a resurgent and eclectic community. Each day as school lets out, dozens of children walk right by the church on their way home. Throughout the day, one can see parents out walking and pushing their babies in a stroller or out walking the dog or jogging.
The schools are highly rated and the Northshore has become one of the hottest areas for families to move in to- restoring older homes and with that- a renewed sense of community has developed with a distinct vibe.
St. Marks has been a hub for families in her more than 100 years serving the Northshore- and our renewed sense of calling and vision is to recapture that essential place within the fabric of our community. We seek to be a place where families can gather to form authentic Christian community as they learn what it means to live lives fully devoted to Jesus.
Worship at St. Marks is expressive and incorporates a blend of historic elements of our Christian faith while also being creative and innovative in finding modern elements to express our heartfelt worship to God. We seek to create an environment where all people can have a powerful encounter with God and that our lives are changed by God’s love and grace. SMC is open and inclusive- welcoming everyone to experience God with us in worship. Here all means all when we say all are welcome.
Our desire is to meet people where they are on their spiritual journey and help them to become fully devoted followers of Christ. We want to connect with people and connect people to God. We believe that church is a spiritual family where we each worship, grow, serve, and reach beyond the walls of the church to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world!
Our staff are all in ministry together, each using our unique gifts, skills and backgrounds to enhance the ministry of the church. As a staff team member you will be valued, encouraged to grow and thrive, and empowered to lead to the very best of your abilities. You’ll need to have a good sense of humor and desire to be a team player to fit in to our culture here. We love what we do and want to serve as a team who loves and appreciated one another!
1. Plan curriculum, as lead teacher for the Sunday morning multi-age Children’s class, Kingdom Zone (ages 4 yr – 5th grade). Recruit, train and coordinate workers for Children’s Ministry classes and events. Works cooperatively with all staff and volunteers.
2. Coordinates the Sunday morning Nursery Staff (Children ages birth to 3yrs.) and childcare for St. Marks services and events as needed. Organizes, sets-up and stocks the Nursery with necessary supplies.
3. Develop a Children’s Ministry Team, instilling a team-based ministry culture while seeking to include parents as active partners in our ministry to children.
4. Coordinates and provides leadership in developing and implementing a young family outreach ministry focused on children activities.
5. Helps to support the vision and values of the church as SMC seeks to connect with and engage new young families in the life of the church. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, outgoing, community-minded and willing to build relationships with our neighbors, schools, and groups that help us realize our vision to disciple families for Christ.
6. Provide a warm, friendly and learning environment for children and families.
7. Uses appropriate child development knowledge to best meet the needs of St. Marks children in curriculum selection, child discipline, classroom grouping, etc.
8. Communicates the needs of the children’s ministry to other staff and church leaders as appropriate. Organizes, sets-up and stocks classrooms with necessary supplies.
9. Coordinates sanitation and safety protocols for Children’s Ministries using Safe Sanctuary guidelines.
10. Works with Trustee’s as needed to maintain the Children’s areas.
11. Visits classes/nursery for the purpose of evaluation and teacher support in order to address any issues or emergencies that arise.
12. Connects with church families involved in the Children’s Ministry as needed; to consult with parents regarding an issue with their child; and to refer to certified counselors as appropriate.
13. Holds regular Children’s Team Meetings and attends Church Leadership Team meeting.
14. Participates in the Children’s Ministry Team annual budget and strategic planning process.
15. The Children’s Ministry staff leader is a vital part of our pastoral leadership team and as such will be empowered and encouraged to fully participate in worship and community life at St Marks Church.
16. Performs other duties as assigned by the Pastor / Staff Parish Relations team.
1. Supervision and Support – Pastor / Staff Parish Relations Team
2. Program Support – Pastor / Children’s Ministry Team
1. Has a personal, active and growing relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
2. Energetic, warm and able to share the love of Jesus to children and their families.
3. Able to implement the strategic vision of the church as it relates to our Children’s Ministry and is excited about being a pioneer in creating a “brand” and culture as we revitalize our Children’s Ministry.
4. Is comfortable with visiting church families involved in the Children’s Ministry.
5. Able to balance work and family.
6. Physically capable of sustained activity.
1. Knowledge and experience in Biblical interpretation, child development (and faith
development) and religious educational theory and practice.
2. Maintains confidentiality as appropriate and accountable with church resources.
3. Is a life-long learner, one who values growth and collaboration as a team-based ministry. Seeks opportunities to grow professionally.
4. Understands and embraces our rich tradition of United Methodist theology with its emphasis on grace and social holiness, and the polity, program and mission of St. Marks Church as a part of the United Methodist Church.
Part time / 15 hours per week to begin, with plans to expand hours and scope of ministry as our ministry grows. (Some flex time allowed, consistent with assigned duties)
Preferred Education and Experience:
B.A.; Church, Christian Ed., children ministries or similar. Ministry experience preferred but second career persons are welcome to apply if you are sensing a call to ministry after marketplace experience.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and your resume to [email protected] by July 21, 2021.
Boone Trail Baptist Church
Main Street Baptist Church
First Baptist Columbia TN
Living Hope Baptist Church
Thomas A McDaniels
The Reformed Church of Bushkill
First Presbyterian Church Fort Thomas
First United Methodist Church of Peoria