The purpose of the Worship and Families Pastor is to lead and oversee an effective and comprehensive ministry that disciples, equips and supports the marriages and families of the church and community as well as utilize the gifts and resources available in church to facilitate worship for the congregation, in accordance with the overall vision and philosophy of ministry for First Baptist Church Jackson.
A. Family Ministries
· Oversee relational, engaging discipleship ministries to children and youth:
1. Manage/coach the Early Childhood Ministries Director/team.
2. Manage/coach the Children’s Ministries Director/team.
3. Manage/coach the Student Ministries Director/team.
· Lead ministry initiatives that prepare, equip and enrich couples in marriage; build a team of marriage mentors and volunteers to help shepherd engaged and married couples; create relevant events and initiatives on practical issues of life that will enhance the spiritual and relational growth in marriage.
B. Worship Ministries
· Develops a culture of genuine, authentic, engaging, and inspirational worship by physically, emotionally, and spiritually modeling a passion for praise.
· Direct the planning, organizing, conducting, supervising and evaluating of a comprehensive worship ministry including choir, praise team, band, orchestra, vocal and instrumental ensembles for the Worship Service.
· Leads congregational worship in a manner that emphasizes that God’s people are to embrace a life of worship.
· Employs a variety of musical styles in a creative way that keeps the congregation engaged.
· Seeks authentic worship over entertainment and the presence of the Holy Spirit over performance.
· Cooperate with Senior Pastor in planning all services of worship and conduct the worship service.
· Involve the congregation and discover appropriate and helpful ways to receive feedback and make course corrections in musical selection as needed.
· Provide music for special projects, ministries, and other church-related activities. Be alert to opportunities for community involvement.
· Prepare and oversee annual worship budget.
· Actively recruit and develop worship leaders and engage young adults, youth, and college students to express musical talents through the worship ministry.
· Include children in worship ministries and create opportunities to include children’s choir and family worship services/events.
C. First Impressions
· Recruit, train, and oversee the First Impressions ministry of the church including greeters, welcome center, parking attendants, desk workers, and other servants.
· Train, contact, and empower servants to effectively greet and help newcomers begin the process of assimilation (work alongside Minister of Missions).
· Create, update, and maintain a ministry environment through visual cues, lighting, signage, a structural appearance that is inviting to guests and communicates the general identity and branding of First Baptist Jackson.
· Develop backgrounds and videos for Worship Media Presentation.
· Create, alongside Senior Pastor, title packages, video introductions, and backgrounds for sermons and the branding for the general theme of the Sunday Worship Gathering.
· Edit the videos from worship services to be placed on website.
· Maintain modern music library, materials, supplies, musical instruments and other equipment. Oversee technology related to worship ministry.
E. Communications & Marketing
· Plan and coordinate communications strategy and provide leadership to plan, produce, and evaluate church-wide communications.
· Create, lead, and maintain the branding strategy and marketing process creating a recognizable identity and develop a creative marketing campaign that allows a noticeable and easily recognizable presence in the community.
· Alongside office staff manage and produce the bulletin and Evangel newsletter.
· Alongside office staff maintain oversight for website content and social media, including updating pages as needed, creating new pages as needed, maintaining calendars, oversight for blogging, and homepage banners.
· Oversee special communication and marketing associated with events, including lanyards, pamphlets, booklets, special signage, ticketing, and external promotion.
· Advise the Senior Pastor on marketing strategies for key initiatives and work with ministry leaders in creating effective communication strategies consistent with church-wide communication goals.
· Demonstrates the qualifications of a pastor as outlined in 1st Timothy 3 and Titus 1
· Engaging interpersonal skills; able to recruit, train and organize teams, volunteers, leaders and staff
· Detail-oriented; can administer and build on complex systems
· Self-motivated, not needing micromanagement
· Works well with a team; demonstrates effective leadership through teams and effective at delegation
· Able to effectively communicate with a variety of people and audience sizes
· Able to problem solve and resolve conflict
· Demonstrate a commitment to goals, strategies, and doctrinal statements of FBCJ
· Experience in leadership and faith development
· Proven track record of organizational skills in developing and carrying out objectives to completion
· Willingness to be a life-long learner and receive ongoing training
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university
Currently going through a revitalization process under the leadership of Pastor Troy Richards since January, 2019. The church has been in decline for a few decades, but has a willingness to chart new territory and is beginning to refocus with new vision. FBCJ was established in 1824 and reached an average attendance of over 600 in the 1980's and 90's. Two significant church splits have resulted in attendance declining to under 200. The church went through a time of healing and internal examination with an intentional interim for over a year before calling the current pastor. The downward trend appeared to have reversed with an increase in baptisms and transfer growth until the pandemic, which has leveled off any gains. The church lost two full-time staff members who took positions closer to their hometowns. Both left on very good terms.
First Baptist Church | Baptist: SBC
Full-time | Lake Charles, Louisiana
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Randall Church | Baptist: SBC
Full-time | Williamsville, New York
Williamsville, New York
Clearview Baptist Church | Baptist: SBC
Full-time | Travelers Rest, South Carolina
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
GracePoint | Baptist: SBC
Part-time | Asheville, North Carolina
Asheville, North Carolina
First Baptist Church Munday TX | Baptist: SBC
Full-time | Munday, Texas