The Café is a gathering place for people to connect and enjoy fellowship. It also functions as a book and logo merchandise outlet. The Café Supervisor works at the Burnsville campus and will have oversite of all of the campus Cafés. This is a part-time non-exempt (hourly) position averaging 15 hours per week and reporting to the Events Manager.
Maintain standard operating practices and food and beverage preparation guidelines for good food safety practices:
· Obtain and/or renew MN Department of Health Food Safety certification
· Knowledge of safe practice updates
· Update safety policies as needed
· Clean at end of shift
· Monthly deep clean
· Maintenance schedule for ice maker, espresso machine, and coffee brewers
Ensure all volunteers are trained on the use and operation of all equipment and standard operating practices. Recruit and train Café volunteers on:
· Beverage making procedures
· Food handling procedures
· Handling the cash register and manage cash receipts for secure, timely deposit
· Guest services
· Cleaning and sanitation procedures
Schedule volunteers in Planning Center to adequate staff levels for all services and events; help find subs when necessary.
Provide management and oversite of all volunteer teams including:
· Giving regular affirmation and praise
· Ensuring they are appropriately placed and serving in an area of strength
Keep the Café in good working order
· Maintain the working order of the equipment
· Maintain accurate inventory of all equipment
· Maintain appropriate inventory of food, coffee, and tea products
· Coordinate with Facilities Manager to order cleaning supplies needed for the Café and to set a maintenance schedule for descaling equipment and replacing water filters
· Ensure the cash register and credit card systems are operational
Manage stock, weekly duties
· Rotate stock, check expiration dates
· Par stock inventory weekly for café and staff kitchen
· Place orders with B&W Coffee on Monday for Wednesday delivery
· Place order monthly with Sysco for bakery items
· Stock and shop weekly for milk, cream, pop, and water
· Restock items weekly/as needed: bakery, pop, water, gum, bars/biscotti
· Make cold brew and iced tea weekly before service times
· Wash towels and aprons weekly
Uphold appropriate licenses and operational standards
Maintain appropriate supplies for all events (this includes those needed in the staff kitchen and community kitchen)
· Provide coffee carts for ABF’s and ministry groups:
· Stock with coffee, cups, cream, sugar, sugar substitutes
· Brew coffee per requests
In addition to scheduling Café service during Wednesday evenings and Sundays, ensure it is open for all church events and as needed, for special occasions
Maintain inventory and display of books/resources and logo merchandise housed in the Café
Maintain the budget, receipts, and expenses in coordination with Finance.
· Oversee bank deposits and cash
· Maintain cash bags and logs. Make change at the bank as needed
· Resolve any deposit discrepancies
Ensure signage – permanent and event – is accurate
Assist with food and beverage service at special events.
Cash Management of Café receipts.
Cross-train and be able to fill in for the Catering Kitchen Supervisor.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
· A personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
· Demonstrate a Servants Heart.
· Evidence of growing maturity as a disciple of Christ.
· Agreement with Berean Baptist Church Statement of Faith.
· Committed to attendance and membership at Berean Baptist Church.
· Philosophical alignment with Berean’s leadership and theology.
· Demonstrate good leadership skills including handling conflict, developing team members and desiring personal growth.
· Experience managing foodservice, coffee shop, and/or special events function that included food preparation and service.
· Barista or beverage maker experience is desired.
· Must have a Food Safety Manager certification or agree to obtain the certification (we will provide support for the certification and re-certification).
· Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
· Must be comfortable with computers and have an aptitude for learning new systems such as Square, Planning Center Online, etc.
Must be able to spend hours at a time on feet – standing and moving around the building.
Must be able to lift and carry 30 pounds – boxes of food items, coffee, and paper goods.
This role will require flexibility to work evening and weekend hours; hours will flex seasonally.
Required serving participation at two of four faith family celebrations and at least half of Easter and Christmas services unless otherwise approved.
Must be comfortable driving between campuses.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
North Heights Church
Berean Baptist Church
Berean Baptist Church
Berean Baptist Church
Samaritan's Purse - Operation Christmas Child
First Presbyterian of Glen Ellyn
East Side Church of God